- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred
- Must be experienced in avian use surveys specifically point-count surveys; candidates with higher level birding skills will be given preference
- Must be proficient in identification of 1) eagles, and 2) Texas (and surrounding states) bird species by sight and sound,
- Precise and thorough data collection is essential
- Must be able to use compass, global positioning system devices, binoculars, range finders, tablets, and digital cameras; as well as maintain equipment
- Able to work independently or as part of a team, and interact positively with project manager, field supervisor, landowners, and other technicians
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise)
- Maintain focus for long periods of time
- Follow instructions from manager and team leader
- Maintain positive attitude and accept guidance and constructive criticism
- Follow all WEST safety protocols
- Training will be provided for all survey efforts and job related activities
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
- Must be able stand or walk for 6-8 hours per day
- Must be able to carry up to 30lbs over uneven terrain
Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST is an employee owned organization with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- SEP/IRA (100% employer contributions, after initial eligibility requirements are met)
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.