The New York County District Attorney’s Office (DANY) has an opening for a Bilingual (Spanish) Counselor in its Witness Aid Services Unit (WASU) stationed in its Washington Heights Office. In this position the Counselor is responsible for providing counseling and therapeutic services to assist crime victims, witnesses, and their families. These services may include short-term crisis intervention, community referrals, orientation to the criminal justice system, case status updates, and court support.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conduct counseling/therapy sessions in either individual and/or group settings, as well as mental health evaluation and concrete needs assessments.
- Conduct crisis intervention interviews and assist with safety planning.
- Provide victim support and court accompaniment throughout the criminal justice process.
- Act as a liaison between victims, families, and Assistant District Attorneys and provide case status information.
- Follow up contact with victims to monitor their connection to services.
- Ability to interact effectively with victims, witnesses, families, law enforcement officers and criminal justice personnel.
- Assist with a range of direct services such as crime victim compensation applications, emergency shelter placements; partner with DANY Advocates for additional concrete services.
- Collaborate with outside agencies to assist crime victims and facilitate referrals to appropriate agencies.
- Maintain accurate up-to-date case files.
- Perform related administrative duties as assigned.
- Written and oral Spanish fluency required.
- Experience working with victims of domestic violence and/or sexual assault preferred.
- Familiarity with the crime victims and/or criminal justice system preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of confidentiality and sensitivity to victim issues a must.
- Ability to handle high caseload and set priorities.
- Excellent engagement, crisis intervention, and assessment skills required.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with staff in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work overtime and flexible hours including holidays, evenings, and weekends.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- LMSW required.
- ASL proficiency a plus.
- SIFI certified/eligible a plus.
- One (1) year commitment to the hiring unit.
The New York County District Attorney’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer