SCHEDULE: Full-Time, 12 month
START DATE: As soon as possible
The Benefits Accountant is responsible for the day-to-day coordination of the administration, accounting and reconciliation of the employee benefit programs for all staff members including, but not limited to, cash in lieu, health, dental, vision, life, disability, and workers compensation insurances. This position will also be assigned other accounting/finance functions in the office related to supporting student activities and other district functions including accounts receivable, accounts payable, finance support, personnel support, and other duties as assigned by the Director of Business Affairs.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provide staff support to the Director of Business Affairs in the following areas:
- Coordinates administration of all employee benefit programs for all staff members including a self-funded health insurance plan including coordination with any third-party vendor.
- Provides assistance and guidance to staff in interpreting employee benefits and related policies/procedures including COBRA eligibility, health and dependent care reimbursement and other available employee benefits.
- Monthly reconciliation of all medical insurance billings within the District’s accounting software.
- Audits district records and monthly insurance bills to verify accuracy and process monthly payments to vendors.
- Processes new hire benefit enrollment applications and related documentation in accordance with relevant policies and rules; reviews completeness and accuracy of applications.
- Process open enrollment employee benefit plan changes and adjustments.
- Utilizes the Human Resource information system, SchoolsOPEN, to generate corresponding benefit deductions in relation to employee benefit selections and making necessary adjustments for reconciliation on the general ledger.
- Provide support to personnel department in coordination with business office functions.
- Responsible for all accounts receivable functions for all district funds.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the online payment system and all related receipting functions.
- Provide financial assistance and support to student activity groups and other finance functions including but not limited to accounts receivable, general ledger entry, accounts payable support, etc.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Business Affairs.
The candidate selected for this assignment will be the one who offers the best combination of qualities in accordance with the following qualifications and requirements:
- Education: Associates degree with emphasis in accounting and/or business administration required. BA/BS degree preferred.
- Experience: A minimum of two years of experience in a Michigan public school finance/business office preferred or previous fund accounting experience.
- Previous experience managing employee benefits programs is highly desirable.
- Advanced level computer skills using Microsoft Office (emphasis on Excel) and other computerized finance systems.
- Ability to work well with others in a fast paced environment, handle multiple projects, establish priorities and resolve problems with minimal supervision.
- Self-directed, organized and able to meet strict deadlines with accuracy.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Demonstrate responsible behavior, poise, professional loyalty, and flexibility.
- Consistent focus on providing outstanding customer service to employees and administrators.
- Other duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
Interested candidates meeting the above qualifications must complete the entire online application. In addition, upload your letter of interest and current resume.
The Grand Blanc Board of Education is committed to a policy of non-discrimination in
relation to race, color, gender, age, religion, height, weight,
marital status, disability and national origin. The Board appointed coordinator for all
concerns and complaints for issues relating to Title IX, Section 504,
the Age Discrimination Act and Title II is:
11920 S. Saginaw
Grand Blanc, MI 48439