The Welfare Benefit Associate is responsible for the administration of the Funds’ Insurance programs and assists all eligible members and dependents regarding their Welfare benefits coverage. The position includes daily communication with members and dependents via telephone, in person and in writing, as required.
Essential Job Functions:
- Administers retiree premiums and dependent information
- Reviews relevant forms and documents for accuracy and completion
- Requests missing information as necessary to complete enrollments
- Determines coverage by examining Fund records
- Reviews and processes retiree and member eligibility
- Updates and maintains member information in database
- Assists members and retirees with eligibility and enrollment
- Ensures proper enrollment with third party vendors
- Assists with inquiries from members and eligible dependents concerning claims issues
- Tracks the eligibility dates of dependent
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong math and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal, telephonic and written communication skills
- Familiar with health and welfare claims processing (ICD-9, HCFA coding)
- Experience processing disability claims
- Enjoys being an individual contributor and a team-player
- Experience working with multiple, complex benefit plans including union plans
- Working knowledge of ERISA and related amendments as well as HIPAA
- Able to prioritize, organize and work efficiently, complete tasks with deadlines, transition from task-to-task and maintain focus
- Detail-oriented and have an ability to troubleshoot
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel and Outlook
A Taft Hartley fund, the New York City District Council of Carpenters Benefit Funds is a non-profit providing comprehensive, valuable benefits to over 25,000 working and retired union members and their families. The Benefit Funds exist for the sole benefit of its members and eligible dependents. The mission of the Benefit Funds Office is to properly administer the plans of benefits and deliver superior service to our members in all respects.
Through the Welfare, Pension, Annuity and Apprenticeship Funds, NYCDCC members enjoy health, vacation, and scholarship benefits, a defined monthly pension at retirement, a defined contribution benefit, and apprenticeship and journeymen training, all at little or no cost to the members.
The Funds office strives to maintain a balance of work and life. To that end, the Funds offers comprehensive benefits to its employees, including medical, dental, vision, annuity, generous PTO, holidays and a reasonable work schedule.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,000.00 to $46,000.00 /year
- disability claim processing: 1 year (Required)
- HIPAA: 1 year (Preferred)
- ERISA: 1 year (Preferred)
- benefit plan administration: 1 year (Required)