MINIMUM ANNUAL SALARY: $60,858
DEPENDENT ON QUALIFICATIONS
Responsible for assisting with planning, evaluation, coordination, staffing, supervision, development, and implementation of policies and programs in all areas of Student Services to include: TRIO Programs, Admissions, Registrar's Office, Financial Aid, Counseling and Testing, Recruitment, Job Placement, and Student Activities. Exercise professional judgment and exercise a high degree of latitude in attaining institutional goals and objectives; represent Student Services division on various committees and working groups at the College; assist with identifying other funding sources for the provision of expanding programs and services. This position reports to the Executive Vice President.
- Assist the Executive Vice President with the planning, coordination, delivery, and evaluation of each component within the specific administrative area.
- Supervise Financial Aid, Admissions staff, Counselors, Directors, and Registrar directly; indirectly supervise other staff related to the Student Services area on the James Sprunt Community College campus.
- Assist the Executive Vice President with the planning, development, monitoring, and approval of expenditures related to the Student Services, TRIO, and student activities program budgets.
- Assist in maintaining compliance with the U. S. Department of Education grant and fiscal regulations; secure department approval on all purchases and expenditures to the SSSP program implementation before grant funds are obligated for such.
- Assist in writing for state and federal grants to improve the overall College or meet specific needs once the planning process has determined where the monies can be most effectively used.
- Serves as Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Students of JSCC. Ensures required training for new students each semester is provided. Along with the Director of Human Resources & Title IX Coordinator, ensures the College meets all compliance obligations under Title IX to include, but not limited to, the following: assist in providing oversight/coordination of prompt grievance procedures, conduct and supervise investigations when necessary, ensure First Amendment protections, ensure compliance with Section 504 regarding disabilities, and assist with preparation for compliance auditing.
- Assists the Director of Human Resources & Title IX Coordinator to ensure Title IX compliance concerning students with the requirement to stop, prevent and remedy, with any final sanctions, and ensure the prevention and remediation of gender discrimination, sexual harassment/sexual assault, stalking, intimate partner & relationship violence, bullying & cyberbullying, and retaliation.
- Participate in joint planning with other educational, public agencies, and the private sector.
- Assist the Executive Vice President with coordinating the recruitment, training, and professional development activities, evaluation, and work assignments for the administrative area.
- Maintain and/or submit accurate reports and records.
- Assist the Executive Vice President with maintaining federal eligibility requirements related to federally funded projects and financial aid.
- Assumes leadership and responsibility for establishing an environment that promotes respect for students, faculty, and staff and recognizes initiative and excellence.
- Prepares appropriate reports; analyzes and evaluates enrollment and retention data; projects student enrollment and retention data to be used in strategic decision making.
- Provides leadership for directing college-wide activities related to student due-process / judicial proceedings, including, but not limited to, writing appropriate policies and procedures and conducting investigations and hearings on student judicial matters
- Provides leadership in maintaining a student- and learner-centered philosophy and focus for student services initiatives with a clear focus on successful student outcomes including enrollment, program selection, retention, graduation, placement, and transfer success.
- Provides leadership and oversees the Americans with Disabilities Act's application to ensure all students have equal access to services.
- Maintains continuous evaluation of student services' economic feasibility to ensure that only those programs with appropriate priority in terms of need and demand are continued. Participates in and supervises the preparation and recommendation of detailed budgets, with cost estimates, for functions supervised. Establishes and maintains budgetary control of functions supervised.
- Supports College activities and special events through attendance and/or participation.
- Communicates an accurate image of the College to the public. Is a positive and active representative of the College and is available to address impromptu situations involving the College during non-traditional work hours.
- Maintains confidentiality of information exposed to in the course of business regarding students, supervisors or other employees.
- Manage grants as assigned to student services and as appropriate.
- Performs all other duties necessary to accomplish the educational objectives of the College.
- Keep up to date on changes in legislative, federal, state, and local procedures that impact each respective area of Student Services and keep appropriate staff informed.
- Assist in the coordination of data gathering and information relevant to the various areas of the division to be used in research projects, survey completion, report completion, and planning assumptions in improving institutional effectiveness.
- Determine the facility, equipment, and technology needs of the Student Services division, coordinate acquisition of needed resources through the College.
- Participate in management meetings at the College and serve as a liaison on College committees.
- Ensure student monitoring and advising progress.
- Assist with the internal evaluation of Student Services activities.
- Coordinate division activities to facilitate maximum utilization of staff and program resources.
- Engage in professional development and community service activities.
- Acquire computer/technology competencies as appropriate to the position.
- Maintain security of personal computer access.
- Perform other professional or job-related duties as assigned.
- Serve on college committees as directed by the supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to communicate effectively through speech and writing.
Ability to identify, communicate, and analyze problems.
Ability to take ownership and utilize constructive feedback.
Must be punctual, professional, and ethically conduct oneself.
Ability to plan and prioritize tasks.
Ability to work respectfully within a team environment.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE: Any combination of education and experience demonstrates possession of the requisite knowledge, skill, and abilities.
Required: Master's Degree in Counseling, Student Development Administration, Adult Education or related field or Master's Degree and extensive experience in providing student services in a college setting.
Preferred: A Doctorate in higher education, counseling/student services, a teaching discipline aligned with the College's instructional program, or a closely related field; and increasingly responsible management and supervisory experience in one or more areas of student services; or an equivalent combination of education and experience; Skill in establishing and maintaining collaborative working relationships with all segments of the College; ability to develop collaboration among diverse groups; ability to think 'outside of the box' and to lead and manage change; Ability to communicate effectively; skilled in presenting ideas and concepts orally and in writing; Ability to work effectively with ethnic, cultural, and socially diverse student populations. Bilingual; Career Readiness Certificate (CRC)
Required: Considerable experience in administering programs providing services to students, including planning, budgeting, service development and delivery, and evaluation. Some experience in coordination of college educational programs and services with internal and external agencies and organizations.
Demonstrated understanding of and a commitment to the community college mission and purpose; teaching and learning; high academic standards; and student success; Knowledge and understanding of student development theory and programs; knowledge of student due process policies/procedures; knowledge and experience of the current issues and trends in student affairs and student development; Knowledge and understanding of evaluation techniques and methods; skill in supervisory practices and procedures; Strong computer skills; skills in technological support and delivery of student programs and services; knowledge and skill in the use of integrated software systems; and, proficiency in the use of Microsoft Windows application software; Knowledge of mediation and/or conflict resolution strategies and methods; skill in mediating disputes between students, staff and students, staff and students/ parents and community representatives;
Preferred: Extensive experience in the administration of student services programs within a community college setting.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here represent those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to focus. May require travel.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here represent those employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to assist individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position description covers the essential functions and duties associated with this position. Other duties may be assigned by the President or appropriate supervisor personnel. The College reserves the right to alter duties, responsibilities, conditions, working hours, and job title as necessary
James Sprunt Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College prohibits discrimination against any person (including staff, faculty or student body) on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, or age.
If you need accommodations, please contact 910-296-2400.