Job Location: United States : Missouri : Kansas City
Role Value Proposition:
Our Regional & Small Business Solutions team is responsible for strategy, sales, underwriting, account management and overall profitability.
The Associate Underwriter will provide group underwriting services for new business and renewals of dental, disability, life, vision, and voluntary products for customers generally having 10-999 eligible employees.
The Associate Underwriter is responsible for evaluating risk characteristics inherent in group insurance plans for prospects (new business) as well as renewals (existing business). This person will conduct a detailed analysis to establish profitable and competitive rates and plan characteristics given the unique circumstances and needs of each group customer.
- Analyzes risk by running manual rate calculations; works with Sales team and other partners to ensure the final proposal will meet the needs of the group customer.
- Underwrites new business quotes by analyzing plan design, demographics, and experience information to decide whether to accept risk and establish profitable and competitive premium levels.
- Underwrites renewals by reviewing current plan’s premium history, claims history, and company financial condition to determine appropriate renewal action.
- Prices and offers plan alternatives, and responds to inquiries from the Sales team, broker, customer, and other partners.
- Works collaboratively with internal and external partners to make sound decisions that will continue to build MetLife’s book of group insurance business.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, listening).
- Excellent analytical skills and problem solving capabilities.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to adapt to change.
- Strong customer service skills.
- High level of organizational skill and the ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Team player: works well with other underwriters and business partners.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft products such as Excel and Word.
- College degree in Math, Business, Finance, or the Financial Services industry.
- Advanced degree is a plus.
Number of Openings
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife’s policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Requisition #: 112835