The Associate Scientist role exists to provide support to the Research, Development and Innovation (RDI strategy of executing a program based on connectivity and T.I.M.E. to achieve industry leading innovation and technology support.
The Associate Scientist role is an entry level Product Development position to support basic product development initiatives, application testing and participation in internal/external technical training sessions.
Key responsibilities: Product Development, Technical Support & Service, Applications Testing / Development, Product Specifications, Product Improvements / Cost Savings, Competitive Audits, and Provides Technical Support Outside of the Application Area as Needed / Assigned
1. Product Development – under direction of mentoring Sr. Scientist provide support across all assigned STRATAS driven product development initiatives from bench blends through pilot plant scale up. Confirm accuracy and quality via analytical testing. Maintain records in lab notebook.
2. Technical Support & Service – participate in development/execution of internal & external technical training sessions. Assist in trouble shooting and complaint resolution.
3. Application Testing/Development – assist in execution of studies to evaluate impact of emerging technologies and IP oils on product stability and functionality. Maintain accurate records. Issue final report of key discoveries/conclusions.
4. Product Specifications – ensure formulations, specifications and data sheets are accurate and up-to-date for application area
5. Product Improvements/Cost Savings – support cost savings and/or enhanced performance projects as assigned
6. Competitive Audits – participate in periodic audits of competitive product, as assigned, to identify developmental gaps and product improvement opportunities.
7. Provide technical support outside of application area as needed/assigned.
Education: BS/MS/PhD Food Science or related field
Related Experience: 0 – 2 years Product Development experience
Equipment/Software Skills: Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook
Technical Skills – solid food science expertise, strong command of ingredients/functionality. Basic knowledge of fats & oils chemistry and processing. Knowledge of experimental design.
Judgment – decisive, exhibits sound and accurate judgment
Strategic Thinking – displays critical thinking skills, proactive in decision making and makes data based decisions
Physical: The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee is required to travel (approximately 15-20% of the employee’s time).
Sensory: .The employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is required to use hand and fingers, handle, and or feel and taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Mental/Reasoning: Ability to read, analyze and interpret the most complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries or complaints. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and and/or board of directors. Ability to define problems, collects data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions