The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates, Inc. seeks Associate/Scientist/Costing and Economic Analyst in Rockville, MD
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Research: Assist decision makers (clients) in clarifying study research questions and selecting appropriate analytical methods. Then adapt the chosen method to context, collect data, conduct analyses, and present findings. Design, evaluate, and support development of cost analysis and projection tools. Produce analytic papers and policy briefs for specific assignments and maintain industry presence by presenting at key annual conferences and meetings. Serve as the primary reviewer of the analytical and technical work of more junior staff related to costing and actively mentor them in the subject
- Business development: Assume significant role in business development by providing technical expertise: make scientific/technical contributions by writing technical sections/paragraphs of proposals or serve as a technical resource for proposals
- Technical assistance: Perform technical assistance (TA) assignments relating to improving financial and technical sustainability of health services: for example support the design of community based health insurance, evaluate impact of existing health systems strengthening activity, etc. The TA work can include in country implementation, fieldwork, research, local technicians’ capacity building, workshops and presentations
- Program management: Manage country programs and perform tasks such as: manage client relations, supervise staff; develop work plans, budgets, and scopes of work for activities; coordinate short-term technical assistance, recruitment of consultants and subcontracts; Coordinate the program team (in country and in headquarters) and organize team planning meetings; prepare the program reporting documents and track progress in activity implementation; review monthly financial reports and track program expenditures; monitor compliance with USAID regulations and company policies; and coordinate with other departments within the company as needed
- Job titles of subordinates: Sr. Analyst (domestic employee) and Sr. Associate Scientist (international employee)
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Requires a Master’s degree in Economics, Public Health Policy, International Health Management or a related field plus 7 years of experience. Alternatively, employer will accept a PhD in Economics, Public Health Policy, International Health Management or a related field plus 4 years of experience
- Requires 4 years of experience doing costing studies for health-related interventions in low and middle income countries
- Experience with statistical software skills, including Stata skills
- Must also have authority to work permanently in the U.S. Applicants who are interested in this position may apply at www.jobpostingtoday.com Job ID: 95982 for consideration
- MA/MBA with 7 – 10 years of experience OR PhD with 4 – 6 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.