DePuy Synthes is recruiting for an Associate Product Development Engineer for the Surgeon Response Group (SRG), within the Research and Development (R&D) organization in West Chester, PA.
DePuy Synthes, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, provides one of the most comprehensive orthopedics portfolios in the world. DePuy Synthes solutions, in specialties including joint reconstruction, trauma, craniomaxillofacial, spinal surgery and sports medicine, are designed to advance patient care while delivering clinical and economic value to health care systems worldwide. For more information, visit www.depuysynthes.com.
Our mission in SRG is to support the hospitals and surgeons who use our product every single day. This position is focused on the development of new, customized medical devices based on a request from a surgeon. In this position, you will engage with customers to design and develop new instrumentation for orthopedic procedures supporting the DePuy Synthes Trauma and CMF (craniomaxillofacial) portfolios.
Help lead the design and development of custom implants and instrumentation. This includes communicating with surgeons and sales consultants, understanding of clinical issues, defining the design parameters, and ensuring the correct product is provided to the customer.
This position allows you to own the project’s entire engineering development lifecycle, from conceptual designs, to crafting rapid prototypes, to releasing the finished good. Problem solving and a deep understanding of patient and surgeon needs is essential for this position.
- Assist with all aspects of the design process, including the identification of regulatory needs, developing design specifications, mitigating product risks, and building the engineering design history file.
- Engage with surgeons and sales consultants to define user needs and design inputs.
- Solve design problems utilizing CAD techniques, rapid and conventional prototyping and other available technologies.
- Develop layouts and tolerance studies utilizing GD&T, and will participate in performing design evaluations (such as FEA, simulated use testing, dry labs and wet tissue labs etc.)
- Work with manufacturing engineering and/or suppliers to optimize designs for manufacturability and assembly to produce functioning prototypes.
- Perform complaint and field investigations supporting patient and customer safety
- Perform quality/compliance activities in support of audits, remediation projects, non-conformances, regulatory compliance projects.
Travel up to 10% may be required.
- Experience in designing and producing mechanical products or medical devices
- Experience with CAD software (Pro-E, Creo, Solidworks, etc.) is preferred
- BS or MS in Engineering required, Mechanical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering preferred
- Experience in medical device industry is preferred
- Understanding of various types of manufacturing, mechanisms, materials, proper tolerancing, drafting standards, and GD&T is preferred
- Strong communication and interaction skills, with the ability to talk to surgeons, sales consultants, and marketing personnel
- Demonstrated creative design ability
- “Hands-on” engineer
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and manage a varied workload
- Proficiency utilizing the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) is required
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-Pennsylvania-West Chester-
Synthes USA Products, LLC (6317)
R&D Engineering (R&D)