Job Role and Responsibility
VMware is looking for a top-rate attorney to join its Intellectual Property Legal Team. This position will be based in Palo Alto, CA. Our department is full of smart, energetic and business-savvy legal professionals, and equally important, genuinely good people. We love to add attorneys who maintain the highest professional standards and who are proud to bring their true selves to work each day.
Core job functions:
You will assist with all intellectual property aspects of our M&A and investment transactions. This will involve close collaboration with our M&A Legal Team and our Corporate Development Team and you will serve as the IP team’s main liaison with these teams. Representative tasks include:
- Advising and briefing M&A extended teams on IP issues arising from M&A and investment transactions
- Drafting, developing and negotiating IP transactional terms
- Leading IP investigations, including conducting interviews and reviewing documents including technology agreements
You will assist with our intellectual property litigation. This will offer the opportunity to work closely with our Litigation Team and our IP outside counsel. With associated training, representative tasks would include
- Developing non-infringement and invalidity positions
- Developing technology narratives
- You will assist with our patent analysis efforts, including identifying patent assets in VMware’s portfolio and tracking competitive analysis from a patent perspective
- You will collaborate with and support other VMware lawyers with respect to various intellectual-property related issues, including with respect to tax, HR and commercial agreements
- You will serve as a technology resource to the rest of the VMware legal team, including by presenting and developing training materials relating to our products and technology.
- Anything else that gets thrown your way as needed to support a highly dynamic, innovative company.
- 2-4 years of legal experience with big law firm or in-house global enterprise company, focusing on IP transactions, litigation or prosecution.
- Qualified to practice before the USPTO
- Some experience analyzing patents either from a transactional, litigation or prosecution perspective
- Some experience in the software and/or IT industries
- Knowledge of general intellectual property laws
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- JD from an accredited US law school
- Member of a State Bar and in good standing
Our team looks for individuals who embody our values of humility, compassion, collaboration above isolationism, respectfulness, integrity, and good-natured fun. Additionally, we would value:
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- Patent prosecution experience
- Consistent good judgment and ability to apply legal knowledge to help create practical business solutions
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and tasks in a fast-paced environment
This job opportunity is not eligible for employment-based immigration sponsorship by VMware.
VMware Company Overview: VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.