Founded in 1834 and located in New England’s second largest city, Worcester Academy has a long and distinguished history of serving students from Central Massachusetts and beyond in accordance with its mission “to instill in its students the desire to learn throughout life, to engage passionately with the world around them, and to be honorable persons of strong and resourceful character.” The school’s current enrollment of 593 students is comprised of 504 boys and girls in the Upper School (Grades 9-PG), with 329 day students and 175 boarders, including students from the U.S. and 16 foreign countries. The student body is support by a faculty and staff numbering 170 men and women.
With the assistance of Educators’ Collaborative Worcester Academy seeks candidates for the position of Associate Head of School to begin July 1, 2019. Working closely with the Head of School and his Executive Leadership Team and having significant interaction with the Board of Trustees, the responsibilities of the Associate Head of School will include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring consistency in fulfilling and executing the mission across all grades, departments, and programs.
- Advising the Head of School on all-school policies and programs and representing him when he is away from the school.
Serving as the chief academic officer:
- Guide department chairs and faculty in the development and delivery of curricular offerings.
- Inspire the faculty to its highest level of professionalism through goal-setting, accountability, personal support, professional development, etc.
- Direct efforts to align the curriculum across the different grade levels in the Middle and Upper Schools.
- Assume a major role in the recruitment and hiring of new faculty.
- Working closely with the Directors of Middle and Upper School as well as with others of Director level responsibilities to assure that policies and programs are closely aligned and effectively administered.
- Supporting the school’s commitments to diversity, equity and inclusion; sustainability; and urban leadership.
Candidates interested in this position are asked to submit the following materials by January 31, 2019 (preferably submitted in one continuous Word or PDF document):
- Educators’ Collaborative Candidate Summary Sheet and Disclosure Form (contact John Mackenzie for those documents)
- Letter of Interest addressed to the Head of School
- A list of five or more references with contact information (including phone numbers and email addresses)
- Personal Statement or Statement of Educational Philosophy (Optional for the preliminary submission; will be required as candidates are chosen to advance)
- Up to three letters of reference (Optional)
John Mackenzie, Partner, Educators’ Collaborative, LLC will be responding to qualified candidates.
Preferred candidates for this position will possess: an advanced degree; classroom teaching experience at the secondary level; outstanding written and oral communication skills; a discriminating knowledge about current academic trends and pedagogy; a familiarity with boarding school communities; empathetic listening skills; a willingness to be highly visible; and personal warmth and good humor.
Keyword: Executive, Associate Head of School, teacher, advance degree, Masters, Doct
From: Worcester Academy