Assistant Golf Course Superintendent
Hiring Salary Range: $17.87-$20.10
Position Salary Range: $17.87-$25.01
Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Assigned Supervisor
Amount of Travel Required: None
Job Type: Regular
Class Code: 2200
Positions Supervised: Supervision is exercised over maintenance crews and seasonal employees.
Generally, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm; however, must be able to work flexible and varied hours.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Participates in supervising and training employees, golf course chemical applications, and daily operations and maintenance of the municipal golf course with the Director of Agronomy; performs other duties as required or assigned.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
The principal function of an employee in this class is to inspect, make chemical applications, and irrigate the municipal golf course. The work is performed under the supervision and direction of an assigned supervisor, but some leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. Supervision is exercised over maintenance crews and seasonal employees. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with the assigned supervisor, other City employees, and the general public. The principal duties of this class are performed in a golf course setting.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Plans, supervises, and evaluates the work of departmental personnel, including providing approval for the selection of staff, monitoring work schedules, interviewing for new or vacant positions, providing direction when necessary, disciplining as required, managing conflict, and rewarding employee performance when appropriate; or makes recommendations which are given particular weight about the change of status of other employees.
- Trains crew members with proper operational and safety techniques, following City guidelines including EPA rules and regulations for all chemicals, making sure the work is being completed according to specifications, reporting any problems to the Director of Agronomy.
- Inspects golf course, including checking the golf course daily to make sure work is being done correctly, noticing if anything needs attention or enhancement, and making suggestions for improvements and repairs to Director of Agronomy.
- Provides daily planning and scheduling for the mowing of the lawn for crew members, including helping mow and change pins when needed to get daily mowing completed, and scheduling crew for projects and repairs within safety guidelines for crew and public alike.
- Provides chemical applications for the golf course, including assisting the Director of Agronomy in the application of fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides, fungicides and wetting agents.
- Provides the irrigation of the golf course, including determining how much water the golf course needs, and making any repairs in the irrigation system that are needed.
- Sets up the golf course, including making it easy, average or difficult by changing pins or tee markers.
- Assumes responsibility for other duties as required or assigned including attending meetings, conferences, workshops, and training sessions and reviewing publications and audio-visual materials to become and remain current on principles, practices, and new developments in assigned work areas.
ESSENTIAL RELATIONSHIP EXPECTATIONS
Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems and suggestions for new or improved ways of addressing such problems.
Responds to citizen's questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner.
Communicates and coordinates regularly with appropriate others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities.
Is punctual and timely in meeting requirements of performance, including attendance standards and work deadlines.
Communicates information and states concerns in a clear and professional manner.
Respects the opinion of others and demonstrates a reasonable relationship with employees, supervisors and others.
Accepts and performs in a timely and effective manner changes in work assignments and/or how work is performed.
Considerable knowledge of the City Handbook.
Considerable knowledge of the rules of golf.
Considerable knowledge of grasses, trees, weeds, and insects.
Considerable knowledge of fertilizers, chemicals, and safety procedures regarding them.
Considerable knowledge of safety procedures.
Considerable knowledge of the irrigation system. Thorough knowledge of the different types and basic mechanics of mowers.
Ability to operate motorized vehicles.
Ability to accurately perform basic mathematical computations.
Ability to diagnose insect and disease problems in the golf course.
Ability to work in all weather conditions.
Ability to be on call for emergencies.
Ability to effectively train, direct and supervise the work of others, including train others in operational and safety procedures.
Ability to schedule daily tasks and complete them in a timely and efficient manner, including organizing and prioritizing the work flow of others.
Ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines.
Ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language.
Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures, and instructions, use logical and creative thought processes to develop solutions according to written specifications and/or oral instructions, and prepare and present accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations.
Integrity, ingenuity, and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
- Accountability – Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Commitment to Safety – Understands, encourages, and carries out the principles of integrated safety management; complies with or oversees the compliance with safety policies and procedures; completes all required training; takes personal responsibility for safety.
- Communication, Oral – Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Customer Oriented – Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures.
- Detail Oriented – Ability to pay meticulous attention to all aspects of a situation or task no matter how small or seemingly unimportant.
- Honesty / Integrity – Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Leadership – Ability to influence others to perform their jobs effectively and to be responsible for making decisions. Achieving results by successful objective setting, performance review, motivation, delegation, team building, commitment gains, and empowerment.
- Organized – Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Relationship Building – Ability to effectively build relationships with customers and co-workers.
- Time Management – Ability to effectively utilize available time for the completion of necessary job tasks.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED): Required
Associate's Degree (two-year college or technical school) Required, Field of Study: Horticulture or a closely related field
6 plus years of experience in golf course maintenance, with some supervisory experience Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work.
Ability to operate a personal computer using standard or customized software applications appropriate to assigned tasks and the ability and willingness to quickly learn and put to use new skills and knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology.
N (Not Applicable) Activity is not applicable to this position.
O (Occasionally) Position requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 – 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) Position requires this activity from 33% – 66% of the time (2.5 – 5.5+ hrs/day)
C (Constantly) Position requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Manually Manipulate O
Reach Outward F
Reach Above Shoulder O
Squat or Kneel F
10 lbs or less F
11-20 lbs F
21-50 lbs F
51-100 lbs O
Over 100 lbs N
12 lbs or less F
13-25 lbs F
26-40 lbs F
41-100 lbs O
The principal duties of this class are performed in a golf course setting.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION
Sufficient finger or manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to operate a personal computer, telephone, related equipment.
Sufficient clarity of speech or other communication ability with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to communicate effectively and convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly or quickly.
Sufficient clarity of hearing with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
Sufficient visual acuity or other power of observation with or without reasonable accommodation to enable the employee to monitor assigned duties and determine the accuracy, neatness and thoroughness of the work assigned; to make general observations of facilities and structures; to review a wide variety of materials in electronic or hard copy form and perform activities such as viewing a computer terminal; visual inspection involving small defects, small parts, and/or operation of machines (including inspection).
PHYSICAL STRENGTH AND PERSONAL MOBILITY:
Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodation, which enables the employee to function within a golf course environment.
Medium work – exerting up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up-to 20 lbs. of force frequently.
The City has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the City reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the City may deem appropriate.
Position : 220002 (ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT GOLF)
Code : 20210043-1
Type : INTERNAL & EXTERNAL
Posting Start : 02/05/2021
Posting End : 02/19/2021
HOURLY RANGE: $17.87-$20.10