HPU is seeking a highly motivated candidate to fulfill teaching, research and program development in Electrical Engineering at the Assistant Professor level. HPU has very recently introduced three new engineering programs: a Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering with option for Concentrations in Engineering Sustainability or Computer Engineering; a Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering; and a Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology Engineering. The candidate suited for the Electrical Engineering position would have experience in teaching, research interests and curricula development within one or more of the following fields: communications, digital hardware and microcontrollers, sensor technologies, signals and systems, and electronics. Design experience in Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits (RFIC) or Analog Integrated Circuits and/or Digital VLSI is preferred. Experience in program development and ABET Accreditation of an engineering program is also preferred.
This is a full-time position with up to 24 credits of teaching over the academic year that runs from mid-August to mid-May.
- An earned doctorate in Electrical Engineering, Bioengineering, or related field from ABET accredited university. (ABDs must complete the degree by Aug 15, 2020.)
- Demonstrated ability to teach undergraduate engineering courses
- Demonstrated ability to develop one or more courses in the following specializations: digital hardware and microcontrollers, sensor technologies, communications, wireless devices, signals and systems, electronics.
- Desire to mentor undergraduate students in their course work, research, and career goals
- Knowledge of the field with a record of scholarship and a willingness to conduct research in an undergraduate
- Design experience in Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits (RFIC), Mixed Signal IC, Analog IC and/or Digital VLSI.
- Experience with assessment and criteria conformance in an electrical engineering program for ABET Accreditation.
- Experience in establishing a new electrical engineering laboratory including sourcing and procurement of equipment, commissioning equipment, writing and executing laboratory exercises.
- Experience with program advising in electrical engineering.
- Experience in outreach activities toward the inclusion of potential electrical engineering degree candidates.
- Experience working with student design projects.
- Report to work obligations to support the department may require work during HPU’s winter and summer breaks.
- Must meet training and background check qualifications and comply with the Protection of Minors policy.
- Upon hire, candidate must have reliable personal transportation to facilitate travel between to all HPU worksites and other locations as required by the position.
- Able to teach classes scheduled during days, evenings, and weekends.
- Able to teach classes at multiple locations on Oahu.
- Successful candidate will be able to work in an environment that utilize excellent time and stress management skills.
Key Responsibilities/Essential Job Functions:
1. Teaching (70%)
- Teach 24 credits of lecture and laboratory courses. Courses can include, but are not limited to, Electrical Engineering courses or other interdisciplinary courses that support the Engineering programs.
- Develop a syllabus of course activities that meet the requirements of the course description or program chair, establishes appropriate student learning outcomes, and provides for appropriate class activities throughout the semester.
- Plan and deliver individual classes that conform to the syllabus and other requirements of the University.
- Demonstrate a command of the discipline and skill in presenting it effectively in the context of an integrated education.
- Maintain accurate and complete records on student participation and performance, use appropriate measures and evaluate student performance on the basis of established student learning outcomes, provide timely feedback to students and assign grades that are an accurate and fair evaluation of student work.
- Submit grades and any other required documentation in a timely manner.
- Post and maintain regular office hours at times reasonably convenient to students. Serve as an advisor to students and provide informed advice.
- Meet deadlines and follow directions of the program/department chair, associate dean or dean of the college.
- Evaluate the teaching of colleagues through the process of peer review.
- Scholarship and Professional Development (20%)
- Conduct research projects in engineering or closely related field involving students.
- Apply for and obtain, internal or external research funding.
- Disseminate research findings through publication, conference presentations, and invited talks.
- Contribute to institutional and infrastructure grant writing.
- Keep abreast of developments in the field of engineering.
2. University Service (5%)
- Attend orientation programs and Faculty Assembly meetings and participate in academic duties, including academic advising for undergraduate and/or graduate students
- Participate in committees; course, program and curriculum area coordination; curricular development and textbook selection; instructional workshops and activities within own curricular areas, policy and program review; or other learning assessments.
- Serve as representatives on school or college level and university level committees of the Faculty Assembly, as well as on other task forces and committees that assist the chair of the Faculty Assembly and/or the deans in the formation of academic policies and related matters.
- Assist with co-curricular activities to include organization of, participation in, or presentation of faculty forums or workshops; advising and sponsorship of clubs and societies; participation in, organization of, providing guidance and assistance to extra-curricular or co-curricular university events such as banquets, the literary magazine, the athletic program, intercultural events, theatrical productions, guest speaker forums, or graduation ceremonies.
- Participate in recruiting and retention activities
- Meet department and college specific expectations for university service.
3. Performs other related duties as assigned (5%)
- Actively participate as an effective member of team by completing assigned duties, accepting additional assignments or reassignments.
This description is not designed to list all activities, duties or responsibilities which may be required for this job. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned at any time.
Hawai’i Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable environment in which faculty and staff can excel irrespective or race, color, national origin, sex , disability, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, or any other protected class covered by the state and federal law. Hawai’i Pacific University encourages applications from veterans and individuals with disabilities. A pre-employment background investigation is performed on candidates selected for employment.