Assists teachers by working with Exceptional Children (EC) to achieve the goals of the student(s)' Individual Education Program(s) (IEPs) and provide access to general education as appropriate.
- Assists in the instruction of individual EC students or groups of EC students in all curricular areas as directed by the teacher.
- Collects data to document individual student progress on IEP goals.
- Plans and works with the teacher in devising instructional strategies.
- Operates and cares for equipment and materials for both classroom and individual students.
- Assists and supervises during emergency drills, assemblies, play periods, field trips and to other designated places.
- Acts as a bus monitor when special needs of an EC student(s) are identified by the IEP team.
- Alerts the teacher to any problem or special information about an individual student.
- Participates in in-service training programs for professional growth.
- Assists in checking materials and portfolios, correcting papers, supervising, and testing as directed by the teacher.
- Assists in keeping bulletin boards and other learning centers current.
- Assists in school routines and transitions.
- Assists with student attendance procedures, record keeping, collecting money, ordering materials and other duties as assigned.
- Provides physical assistance to students as needed in the areas of self-help, clothing, toileting (including accidents and catheterization).
- Provides physical assistance to therapists and teachers as needed in duties related to occupational and physical therapy and mainstreaming classes.
- Provides physical assistance as needed to students by writing assignments under the direction of the teacher.
- Provides physical assistance as needed to students by lifting, positioning and by pushing wheelchairs.