The Administrative Assistant I position is part of the College of Arts and Science Pre-Major Academic Resource Center at Vanderbilt University, and is a key individual contributor responsible for the general administrative duties of the Center. The primary responsibilities of the position include front desk and office phone reception, departmental statistics tracking, purchasing supplies, monitoring the program budget, and maintaining departmental records. Reporting directly to the Dean’s Office Senior Administrative Officer and indirectly to the Center Director, the Administrative Assistant interacts with students and staff across campus, and occasionally with parents.
The College of Arts and Science Pre-Major Academic Resource Center (CASPAR) is staffed by a Director, six academic counselors and an administrative assistant. The academic advisers provide guidance on course selection and academic pathways to all College or Arts and Science first year students and sophomores who have not declared a major. The administrative assistant responds to student needs by consulting with the advising staff as appropriate or by following established guidelines. He or she will organize the flow of daily operations to ensure that service priorities are met. There are periods of intense activity and office traffic at the start of fall semester, for several weeks prior to each course registration window, and during the new student registration period in the month of June. The advising team focuses on delivering the information and resources our students need for a good start to a successful academic career, and diligently seeks to fulfill its role in the structure of caring support with which Vanderbilt surrounds its students.
Duties and Responsibilities
- General administrative functions:
- Answer telephone, direct calls, and manage CASPAR email inbox
- Manage supply inventory and place orders as necessary
- Maintain complex and high-volume scheduling of Director’s and Advisors’ meetings with students
- Coordinate room reservations as needed
- Financial responsibilities, including:
- Monitor center budget and maintain accurate and current records
- Prepare and submit documents for payments and reimbursements
- Project management, including:
- Compilation of Center usage data for SACS report
- Compilation of data for annual report
- Personnel administrative functions, including:
- Maintain confidential department personnel files
- Additional duties as assigned
Profile of an Ideal Candidate
- A High School diploma or GED is necessary.
- An Associate’s Degree or Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution of higher education is preferred is preferred.
- Strong organizational & analytical skills is necessary.
- Resourceful and detail-oriented is necessary.
- Excellent interpersonal written & oral communications skills is necessary.
- Ability to plan, develop, and coordinate multiple projects is preferred.
- Ability to work both as a member of a team & independently is necessary.
- Microsoft Office proficiency (including Word and Excel) is necessary.
- Adobe Professional is preferred.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Vanderbilt University is committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff, and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our campus values.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Job: Administrative / Office Support Supervisors, Leads, and Staff
Primary Location: United States-Tennessee-Nashville
Organization: 12050 – Arts and Science: Student Services