Our mission at Pacific Surgery Center is to provide the highest quality surgical care in a safe, comfortable and caring environment. We are a physician-owned facility specializing in a broad variety of outpatient procedures such as pain management, ENT, Endoscopy, Facial and Full Body Plastic Surgery, General Surgery, Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Podiatry, Oncology and Urology. Pacific Surgery Center opened in 1985 and was among the very first outpatient surgery centers in the county.
Department: Accounting Office
Reports to: Accounting and Human Resources Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Employee
Directly reports to the Accounting and Human Resources Manager. Works collaboratively with all center staff. May take direction from Clinical Coordinator, Medical Director, Administrator, and/or the Governing Board.
Responsible for assuring that all invoices are accurate, processed and paid in a timely manner to obtain discounts if applicable. Responsible for collecting, opening and distributing daily mail. Responsible for preparing daily deposit for billing office and posting into accounting software. Responsible for maintaining employee time records and assisting with payroll processing as necessary.
Essential Functions, Duties & Responsibilities:
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
- Answers telephone in a timely and polite manner.
- Accounts Payable processing
- Enters and pays all invoices through the accounting system in a timely manner to allow for payment to receive discounts, if applicable.
- Inputs new vendor information into accounting software and verifies W-9 is on file.
- Ensures purchase order and packing slips are received for each invoice and verifies that items were received into Practice Management software, where applicable.
- Verifies invoice price against purchase order, where applicable.
- Verifies sales tax is calculated correctly and determines if use tax is owed to State on a per invoice basis.
- Mails payments to vendors.
- Tracks outstanding purchase orders for status of invoice/item receipt.
- Tracks down all missing invoices (e.g., other departments, copies from vendor, etc.)
- Contacts vendor regarding errors in statement/credits due, etc.
- Ensures recurring invoices are received and paid in the correct month.
- Processes refund checks for billing office.
- Scans all payment documentation into electronic filing program.
4. Collect, Open & Distribute daily mail.
5. Maintains Petty Cash fund and issues reimbursements according to company policy.
6. Deposits – totals incoming payments (checks/cash received in mail or over the counter) and gives to billing department for daily deposit.
a. Verifies all bank deposits are posted to practice management software.
b. Records deposits into accounting software.
c. Delivers deposits to bank on a weekly basis.
7. Assist with Payroll Processing
a. Collects and enters all time off requests and time clock changes into the computerized time tracking system in an accurate and timely manner.
b. Verifies hours posted in time clock have been approved by employee and manager; makes changes to time where applicable.
c. Assist with bi-weekly payroll process as needed
8. Complies with all Center Policies and Procedures.
9. Maintains/Creates SOP’s for job functions.
10. Meets deadlines on projects assigned.
11. Attends staff meetings.
12. Performs other duties as needed.
Knowledge, Attributes, Skills & Abilities:
- Customer/Employee Focus
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Verbal ability to communicate ideas and views effectively when speaking to groups, personnel, committees, medical staff, and the general public
- Business Savvy
- Ability to gather, analyze, prepare and understand reports as related to payroll and accounts payable information
- Team Building Skills
- An ability to establish effective working relationships with people as well as the ability to listen, understand, and confer with personnel, physicians, patients, and the general public
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Minimum of three years Accounts Payable and Payroll experience or Training/courses in accounts payable, payroll, and business office activities.
- Fundamentals of Payroll Certification (FPC)
- Bookkeeping Certification
- Fundamentals of Accounting
- Ability to effectively interact with physicians, patients and other staff members.
- Strong verbal and written communication.
- Demonstrates knowledge of proper, safe, efficient usage of current office equipment/software.
- Utilizes Accounting Software and Practice Management program effectively.
- Microsoft Office Software knowledge required.
- Experience with QuickBooks Enterprise.
Nature of Work:
- Job duties require exercise of discretion in selecting from established alternatives to situations which arise on the job. Employee is expected to exercise discretion within an established range, and consult management when established alternatives are not available.
- Verbal and written communication skills are required to convey and explain factual information. Those receiving the information may be emotional or uncooperative. Management may not be readily available, requiring the employee to resolve the conflict or diffuse tension.
- May be required to perform the duties of other employees, including supervisors/managers, in their absence.
- May be required to perform duties and responsibilities not listed in this description, on a temporary or long-term basis.
Working Conditions and Environment & Required Skills
- Ability to work under stress
- Moderate periods of sitting, walking, and standing
- Moderate use of computers and technology