Sanford Underground Research Facility
The Accountant reports to the Chief Financial Officer and provides accounting and payroll support.
Functional Responsibilities (include but are not limited to)
Monitors accounts and prepares financial statements.
· Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare entries to accounts and document transactions.
· Establishes, maintains, and coordinates the implementation of accounting and accounting control procedures.
· Monitors and reviews accounting and related system reports for accuracy and completeness.
· Prepares and reviews revenue, expense, payroll entries, invoices, and other accounting documents.
· Prepares balance sheet, accounting records, and financial statements.
· Reconciles the accounting system and other revenue/expenditure tracking systems.
· Interacts with internal and external auditors in completing audits.
Monitors purchasing and inventory activity to ensure compliance with accounting procedures.
· Prepares requisitions and monitors receiving vouchers.
· Accounts for receipt of goods and payment of vendors.
· Explains billing invoices and accounting policies to staff, vendors, and clients.
Accounts Payable & Receivable
· Reviews invoices and enters data in accounting system.
· Pays invoices by writing checks and initiating electronic deductions.
· Calculates and prepares invoices for reimbursement of funds.
· Drafts memos to explain expenditures.
· Tracks contractor and consultant payments to ensure payment amounts are within limits.
· Files paid vouchers.
Banking & Account Reconciliation
· Prepares credit applications and tax exemption forms to set up new vendor accounts.
· Prepares, verifies, and makes bank deposits.
Purchase Orders & Travel Vouchers
· Prepares travel vouchers and tracks per diem and expenses.
Payroll & Leave Tracking
· Enters hours worked into payroll system and processes payroll.
· Enters ACH information on bank website for payroll deposits and automatic tax payments.
· Contacts staff to ensure all leave slips received prior to processing payroll.
· Files payroll information.
· Files certified payroll reports.
Payroll Expenses & Reports
· Makes electronic payments to the South Dakota Retirement System.
· Completes federal tax reports.
· Prepares W-2’s and 1099’s at yearend.
Education & Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting; or a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or related field with at least 12 semester hours of accounting coursework.
· Two years of experience in accounting.
· Attention to Detail—Ability to pay careful attention to details and complete tasks in an accurate, complete, and timely manner.
· Organization—Ability to prioritize tasks, manage time, keep order, and coordinate a variety of activities.
· Information Seeking—Ability to collect complete information about issues.
· Problem Solving—Ability to identify problems and use judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives to make sound recommendations.
· Initiative—Puts forth the effort required to achieve goals.
· Integrity—Conducts self in an honest, ethical, responsible, and respectful manner.
· Communication – Ability to convey information (in writing and orally) in a clear, understandable manner.
· Customer Service—Ability to interact courteously with customers and discover and address their needs.
The South Dakota Science & Technology Authority (SDSTA) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to the development of a diverse workforce. Applicants are invited to self-identify as an individual with a disability or as a protected veteran. Forms are available on the website www.sanfordlab.org/careers or upon request from Human Resources.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off