Creative and Resourceful K-8 Garden Educator & Gardener Year-Round To Teach-Ecology-Organic Gardening-CA Native Plants-MultiArts-Literacy-Nutrition
(SF – Available NOW ! )
employment type: part-time
_ Reply to the Founder and Director with cover letter and resume _
Dynamic Teacher / Gardener For Middle School, plus PreK-5 Students: Organic Gardening / California Natives / Ecology / Multi- Arts / Technology / Literacy / Nutrition Teacher (part-time)
The dynamic, inspired, and cheerful, outdoor educator and expert gardener will be leading groups of K-8 students and teachers, some PreK, in hands-on learning and doing, in: organic and native gardening and tree planting, multi-arts including digital media, literacy and nutrition projects, as well as leading students in researching local ecology, history, watersheds, and existing local community, including its natural, multicultural, and built resources. You will be doing some student outreach and recruitment, attracting students for hands-on, learning programs, and leading gardening, related landscape, and arts activities as standards-based learning processes. You will be communicating about sustainability, ecological systems and native landscapes as well as performing community outreach activities with children and adults in ways that are fun, educational, and relevant. You will also help with some administration of program.
- The exceptional candidate must have at least a B.A. and knowledge of science, organic gardening, California native species, and the arts; digital media a plus ! MUST ALSO BE A GOOD GARDENER !
- Must have extensive experience teaching with excellent classroom management skills, including Elementary, Middle School and some High School students – working creatively and artistically with all learners with knowledge of Common Core Standards and Next Generation Science Standards
- Must be excellent and have ease in managing and leading groups of students with good classroom management skills in an outdoor setting
- Must have a dynamic, outgoing personality and ability to attract middle school youth’s participation in hands-on afterschool and summer program and captivate and hold young students’ attention
- Must be an excellent organic gardener, tree planter, and landscaper with knowledge of science including botany, cycles of life, insects, natural pest management, companion planting, California Native species, plant communities, nutrition and health
- Knowledge about San Francisco ecology and watershed systems very important !
- Must have excellent communication, writing, research skills & experience with curriculum development; knowledge of state standards a plus
- Must have an evolved aesthetic/design sensibility; ability to draw well is fantastic and able to make attractive digital flyers a real win; carpentry skills are desired; digital media, video & other art skills a real plus!
- Bilingual Spanish, Tagalog, Cantonese, or Mandarin, a real plus !!!
- Must be creative, hard-working, strong with a can-do attitude, a self-starter, resourceful, flexible, team player, good team teacher, and able to also take direction from the Director
- Ability & willingness to do some administrative work and social media !
- Must be able to do physical gardening work and be able to lift 40 lbs
This year-round position is a unique opportunity to work with a leading-edge, creative, environmental and educational nonprofit, Life Frames, Inc., dedicated to integrating community resources and creating transformative ecological and multicultural learning landscapes. Called A Living Library and Think Park, this program works with local schools and other community resources, to build on-site educational organic gardens and content-rich landscapes interlaced with other ecological elements, including the arts and digital technologies. A Living Library is linked to the curricula of the schools and animates all subjects through real-world experience. Students, together with adults, are involved in all aspects of the research, planning, design, implementation, use, maintenance, management and communications of the transformed learning environments and integrated community programs.
(Life Frames, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to establishing a team of staff and volunteers who reflect the multicultural and linguistic diversity of the communities that we serve.)
To find out more about A Living Library:
please visit our blog: www.alivinglibrary.org
Reply to the Founder and Director with cover letter and resume
Job Type: Part-time
- HIgh School Teaching: 3 years (Preferred)
- Teaching: 4 years (Preferred)
- SF Watersheds: 2 years (Preferred)
- K-5 Teaching: 3 years (Preferred)
- Middle School Teaching: 3 years (Preferred)
- Gardening: 4 years (Preferred)
- California Native Plants: 4 years (Preferred)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- Other Languages (Preferred)
- Tagalog (Preferred)
- Is Bilingual (Preferred)
- Cantonese (Preferred)
Hours per week: