The Tariff Services Specialist I is responsible for multiple business and technical functions relating to Engineering Tariff Studies. The Specialist I is also expected to successfully contribute to the business management of Tariff Studies covering generator interconnection, transmission services, delivery point addition and any specialized tariff study.
The position requires extensive customer service engagement with tariff studies customers and stakeholders, as well as working with employees at all levels of the organization. A rapid pace, stringent deadlines, and a large volume of work characterize this position.
The Tariff Services Specialist I is expected to work with minimal supervision. As such, an excellent working relationship with all parties must be maintained to ensure the accomplishment of the goals and objectives of the organization. The authority of and supervision required for this position varies based upon the project and level of experience of the incumbent.
General Support Responsibilities:
- Lead in the administration of the SPP transmission service and generator interconnection study queues, transmission service and generator interconnection request acceptance, validation and coordination of study agreements and finances.
- Coordinate business activities performed by the SPP Engineering Tariff Studies Teams and make recommendations regarding compliance with SPP Open Access Transmission Tariff, FERC, or other regulatory requirements. These activities may include, but are not limited to: collaboration and posting of SPP Engineering Tariff Studies reports, request for proposals, studies billing, facilitation of internal and external meetings, and communication of transmission service and interconnection agreements.
- Develop and present analysis reports on Tariff Studies for use by both internal SPP departments and external member and stakeholder groups. These reports may contain technical analysis, operational and business data, and compliance with or support of general business rules and regulatory requirements.
- Interface with other SPP departments to facilitate and support the multiple activities related to SPP Engineering Tariff Studies, regulatory policy and department business needs.
- Propose recommendations for improvements, and document processes and procedures for transmission service and generator interconnection studies, transmission service and generator interconnection agreements and requests, and SPP Business Practices and Open Access Transmission Tariff activities.
- Communicate with customers, SPP members, and stakeholders in a positive manner in multiple engagement opportunities necessary for all business associated with SPP Engineering Tariff Studies and administration.
- Support SPP Engineering Department initiatives as necessary.
- Develop a practical understanding of the SPP Open Access Transmission Tariff, FERC & NERC governing documents, SPP By-Laws, SPP Criteria, and the SPP Committee structure. A more detailed understanding of specific governing documents and processes will be required depending on support needs.
- Makes non-technical decisions independently; makes technical decisions in conjunction with experienced Tariff Services analysts, engineers or supervisors.
Teamwork and Leadership Skills:
- Provides teamwork and leadership support to help project groups meet aggressive time schedules.
- Provides project information to assist management with resource decisions, and cross coordination amongst engineering groups.
SPP Culture and Core Values:
- Embrace and promote the SPP Culture, Mission and Core Values in attitude toward stakeholder relationships, current work assignments as well as long term goals and strategic initiative of the organization.
- Incorporate a fundamental working understanding of the SPP Culture Drivers, Mission and Core Values and apply this directly to all assignments and any SPP related effort.
- Understanding of and compliance with SPP Policies and Procedures.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or equivalent experience: (Two (2) years of electrical industry or related experience may be considered in lieu of degree requirement)
Work Experience Requirements:
- Two (2) years of experience in engineering or closely related environment (in excess of educational requirements above).
- Superior customer service experience
- Strong inter-personal and team work skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good working knowledge of and skills with communication and data handling software such as Microsoft Office© Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Experience in the electric utility industry, business administration and coordination
- Technical familiarity with common computer and office systems
- Experience in working with industry stakeholders and working groups
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to make decisions, interpret data, and problem solve.
- The employee frequently is required to stand or sit for extended periods; use hands to operate a computer keyboard and standard office equipment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 10 pounds.
- Requires the ability to work and collaborate with managers and employees at all levels to exchange ideas, information, and opinions to facilitate the task.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of workweek are Monday through Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Working extended hours may be required.
This position requires minimal (0-10%) travel
Should you elect to apply for this position SPP will review your qualifications. If after reviewing the qualifications and experience of all applicants, your skills and credentials meet our needs, someone from our organization may contact you. Please be advised that the time required to complete the applicant review process typically takes between 30 and 90 days, but could extend beyond that. Once the position has been filled, all applicants will be notified via email.
Southwest Power Pool is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age or any other protected category.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines “reasonable accommodation” as a change or adjustment to a job or work environment that allows a qualified individual with a disability to satisfactorily perform the essential functions of a particular job, and does not cause an undue hardship for the employer. SPP adheres to the ADA and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a qualified individual with a disability to perform the essential functions.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)